Tuesday, August 15, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #207 Tiles

This week we concentrated on one new tangle by Jenna Black called Cross-Ur-Heart.

One tangle, one string, and each tile brings its own spin on both - simply amazing.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
here is my contribution to your challenge 207. I enjoyed to draw it.
Thank you for your engagement.
Best wishes from Germany.


Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely variations of the tangle 
*hues of blue in tangles and shading


From Jenna Black (North Carolina), the creator of Cross-Ur-Heart - thank you for your beautiful tangle!
Hi, Adele. It's been a long time since I've done an IAST challenge, but how can I resist when you're doing my tangle? (Also, for once I was not in the middle of some other piece when I got the email.) This is my Cross-Ur-Heart monotangle. The background is done with Distress Ink, and the shading is done with colored pencils with just a few white gel pen highlights. I have a whole pile of Distress Inked tiles waiting to be tangled on, and this one just seemed to lend itself perfectly to this week's string. I can't wait to see everyone's finished tiles!
Tangled Tidbits -
*perf filled hearts
*weighted lines, sparkle, and complimentary colors


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
I was delighted by your choice of tangles this week. I've been wanting to do some circular patterns, and just this Monday I bought a compass. So Cross-ur-Heart made a perfect beginning for me. Yes, it's not a monotangle and I didn't follow the string, but I'm very happy with my results.
Tangled Tidbits -
* glorious zendala - begins and ends with Cross-Ur-Heart
*tangle creates a scalloped outer edge


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant elongated center hearts tipped with smaller ones
*Tipple filled variation


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Another great tangle this week, I had so much fun I just wanted to keep tangling and tangling.
Thanks Adele.
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed center tangle billows outward
*gorgeous dimension, pops of perfs, and vine-like curls


A very warm welcome to Alma Sánchez (Spain) ~
Here's my version of this week's pattern Cross-ur-heart with a variation of Backflip.
Tangled Tidbits -
*one large section of the tangle with dot accents
*additional tangle adds a fancy aura
Welcome to IAST and welcome to our tangled map, Alma!



From Lily (Hungary) and here on FB ~
Dear Adele, here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
ZenHug:
 Tangled Tidbits -
*each string section features its own beautiful version of the tangle
*shading and aura add wonderful sense of depth


From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
Thank you for adding me to the tangled map. It is such a pleasure looking forward to your e-mails every week.
This weeks challenge is all about hearts and I can't draw hearts, I thought. But......one stroke at a time.......and yes, I can.
Regards from the heart:)
Tangled Tidbits -
Isn't it remarkable how that works?!
*center cluster reaches to the outer four corners
*tight to wider line spacing, along with soft shading, add wonderful depth


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
I continued with my mandala theme this week as the Cross Ur Heart seemed to fit quite well. I also did my first white on black design for a few years. I bought new white and silver pens last week and I am quite pleased with the results.
Tangled Tidbits-
*another beautiful zendala - very lace-like
*elements of the tangle repeat from the center outward


From Aileen (Singapore) and here on her blog ~
Here's my cross-ur-heart monotangle!
Never tried it before so thank you for the challenge :)
Rainbows and raindrops in sunny Singapore
Tangled Tidbits -
*stunning layers of Cross-Ur-Heart
*variation in line direction, dense and light spaces, light and dark, touches of color


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Thank´s Adele for one more great challenge! To me it was a challenge to use Cross-ur-heart with this string! But I did go for it and this is the way it Went.
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangle bursts through the border and creates a stunning edge
*wonderful details and aura


From Michele Wynne (California) and here on her blog ~
I've been so sadly truant from IAST in recent weeks with all other manner of distraction, but I was so inspired by the opportunity to use 'Cross-Ur-Heart" since seeing it pop up here and there in my various feeds (a surprise considering I have a curmudgeonly aversion to heart shaped patterns).
I've been a bit obsessed with some new pens (which I had absolutely no business buying) that prompted me to explore uncharted territory when I discovered that the pens were not waterproof. I did some process pics on my blog this week of how this tile evolved.
Anyhoo, thanks so much for all you do here.
Tangled Tidbits -
*soft, beautifully highlighted and shaded perfs float above the tangles
*a different version for each string space



From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
The path of love doesn't always run smoothly - and the heart can skip a beat from surprise or fear. I lost my way a number of times drawing Cross-Ur-Heart - a tangle I'd drawn before with seeming ease. But I still enjoyed getting lost in all those little lines, and some heavy shading helped to obscure some of my larger mistakes!
Tangled Tidbits -
*gloriously shaded tangles billow off the edges of the tile
*thickened border weaves creatively through the tangles and gathers littler ones


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
I sketched out another one and it looked too crowded. Now this one looks a bit sparse. This was another new tangle for me to practice.
Tangled Tidbits -
*stunning stripes and sparkle
*curls and curves topped with flower-like Cross-Ur-Heart


From Lin H, CZT (Florida) ~
My Cross-Ur-Heart is not quite aligned right but, oh well, I tried. I really like the new tangle and hope to draw it a bit better in the future. My background was created with Color Burst powders. Was fun working with colors this week. Thanks for your challenge, Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
*contrasting line work in the tangle - rounded and straight
*aura, doubled string line, and C-Perf center line


This is my tile ~
I had all good intentions of adding sparkle and striping when I began Cross-Ur-Heart, but the soothing rhythm of filling in the hearts was so relaxing that I just gave way to it. I love this pattern and I especially love the art of adding aura in this fashion.
After aura-ing the smaller ones to one side, I added curls, a few dots, and some shading.


A very warm welcome back to Juul (France) ~
You can not imagine how happy I am to finally participate again. I allways follow all the challenges ofcourse and enjoyed your italian journey!!!
Last week I loved the Pach so much that I used it in this weeks tile....
Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back, Juul!
*deep dark and light contrasts
*two beatuful variations of Cross-Ur-Heart



From Vonnie Schneider (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
* bold stripes and sparkles
*red fill for the string sections


A very warm welcome to Ute Andresen (Germany) ~
here is Ute Andresen from the North of Germany. For the first time in your challenge of It’s-a-string-thing.
For three years I’ve been tangling from time to time. But now the time has come I think I’m “really tangled”.
It was great joy and pleasure for me to tangle this string thing # 207. Thank you!
Here is the link to my blog page, where I have written some more about this experience:
 Tangled Tidbits -
*flower-like variation - each beautifully detailed
*black background highlights the tangles

Welcome to our IAST community and to our tangled map, Ute...


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Just in time! Herewith my entry for IAST 207. I’ve never tried Cross-Ur-Heart, it’s a great pattern. Thank you for the inspiration, Adele. I tried gems in heart shape, which was quite a challenge. I shaded with a dark brown pencil which creates softer shadows than graphite but it’s more difficult to smudge.
Looking forward to Monday (i.e. Tuesday in Switzerland :-)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful detail added with additional tangles
*shading, sparkle, and a touch of color


From Susie (Thailand) and here on her blog ~
Sawasdee Adele, and greetings from Thailand,
Attached my contribution to your IAST 207 challenge featuring the tangle Cross-Ur-Heart. I made 3 tiles and it was hard to leave the two others at home. My decision which to send to you fell on the somewhat off version of Cross-Ur-Heart with the Ginkgo leaves and an attempt to the now popular TranZending trend. I am sure you will get a lot of them for this challenge; the simple string is too inviting to miss out. And no, I vehemently object, I did not forget to color that one Ginkgo leave in the corner. I have no idea why it is there in the first place. I certainly didn't put it there! I absolutely did not. "Cross-My-Heart" and hope to die!
I loved this challenge, Adele. Kop Khun Maa Kha (Thank you)
 Tangled Tidbits -
Isn't it funny how those lines take on a life of their own?!
*a symphony of color, line, shading, and highlights
*tranzending adds even more depth


From Henrike Bratz, CZT (Germany) ~
here comes my tile for iast #207. I chose to use cross-ur-heart along the string rather than create some flowerlike shapes. I then enjoyed auraing again an again.
All the best wishes from rainy Germany!
Tangled Tidbits -
*very creative use of the tangle
*rounded corners of the angular aura lines and wonderful shading


From Lovelygiraffe (Japan) and on Istagram ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles grow from one central cross
*middle string space filled with line lined blushing tangles, highlighted and shaded


From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
I have been experimenting with colored pencil on Dura-Lar Matte film this past week (have you worked with this film at all?). I had a small piece left over, so I decided to cut it to size and use it for this week's challenge. Micron pen on the front - pencil shading on the back. I love the smooth finish and the buttery feel of the pen upon this film, it just flows! (Hope it's okay that I used this rather than traditional paper) I was tempted to add color, as the pattern wound up looking a bit like stained glass, but I like the contrast of just the black and white. Lovely challenge and pattern, as always!
Tangled Tidbits -
I have not worked on this film, it takes shading beautifully.
*two pretty versions of the tangle, both with aura
*wonderful white space



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely line work - so many detail lines and aura
*deep shading of the overlapping tangles


From Veena Arun, CZT (Redmond, Washington) and here on her blog ~
Here’s my tile for challenge#207. I had a lot of fun doing this tile. I had never used this tangle before and doing a monotangle was a lot of help in understanding the possibilities. So, thank you for this challenge 
Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous variations of Cross-Ur-Heart - striped, sparkled, curved and straight-lined
*in the top left, notice the line detail, especially in the hearts

A very warm welcome to Lynn Howell (New York) ~ 
This is my first submission to your tangle challenge and I really enjoyed this one. (I would’ve touched up a bit today, but it appears my cat helped herself to my blue micron pen last night, so it will have to do as is.)
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful blues, highlighted and shaded
*variation to the left, has a flowering center
Welcome to our tangled map and to our IAST community, Lynn!


From Gesine (Germany) ~
I think I missed every single challenge since IAST #189 – just too much to do since our flat has now been restored to normal (and we “only” have to put back everything in place :-/). Now I finally managed to get one done again. Thanks for the motivation!
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangle radiators from one corner of the tile - plant-like inner aura
*white spaces add to the lightness of the tangle


From Teddy (Maryland) ~
Thanks for the new challenge. It was fun trying different embellishments for the Cross-Ur-Heart tangle.
Tangled Tidbits -
*three variations of the tangle - wonderful use of light and dark in the details
*shaded aura


From Pat (Washington) ~
Thank you once again for a great challenge
Tangled Tidbits -
*one small and one larger, lovely tangle
*lines and dots, shading and color


A very warm welcome to Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
I am a new-bee. Just joined your group about 10 days ago. This is my first submission. Love doing these challenges, although I have a lot to learn about submitting them.
Thanks, this is a fun and talented group!
Here we go with # 207: Thru the Looking Glass
Tangled Tidbits -
*tranzending continues as curves move outward
*deep background and dots added outside the border
Welcome to our wonderful world here and to our tangled map, Karen!


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
I loved monotangle #207. Mostly because I 💜 hearts!
Tangled Tidbits -
*three layers of hearts for each tangle and one large rounded border of single ones
*just one layer sparkles



From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
After several days as a no-show (and dashing my hopes that he had succeeded elsewhere), my little red dragonfly is back. One must have sympathy for this lovesick Sympetrum, especially since he has but seven short months to find his true love, and instead he spends his mornings flirting with himself in my windshield.
Or perhaps he's merely narcissistic? In any case I honored him in my first tile, flitting amongst a variety of blooming Cross-Ur-Heart flowers. What a fun pattern with myriad variation potential, I must admit, even though I could almost hear Adele saying, "And you know who you are, Marla," when she mentioned hearts not being one's favorite shape. And the way the placement develops into a circular pattern naturally gave rise to the desire to work it into a zendala.
I do so love exploring the different ways of rendering a pattern ... even if it is hearts! Thank you, Adele, for nudging me outside my fondness zone.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Oh, that poor red dragonfly - our hearts go out to him!
*three versions of the tangle - each with its own beautiful details
*glorious burst of the tangle - love the little white inner hearts
*a zendala inside a square, complete with beautiful detail


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Lovely challenge this week. Cross-ur heart by Jenna Black is a super zentangle pattern with masses of possibilities. Will become a favourite of many I’m sure. Thank you as always for stretching my hand. Also on my blog
Have an amazing week Adele and all this week’s participants.
Tangled Tidbits -
*countless wonderful details for each version of the tangle
*clusters and single file hearts - all softly shaded



From Robin Steinbeck (Painesville, Ohio) ~
Love ❤️ this week's challenge ‼️
 Tangled Tidbits -
*aura surrounds the overlapping tangles
*stripes and perfs - stripes run in various directions



From Karen Buse (California) ~
I knew I wanted stripes on the hearts but after I colored them in I thought "Oh no, too much black, now what?" Counter intuitively I added more black. That seems to have solved the problem which tells me it was more an issue of balance and contrast then too much black. I wish my brain had been in a space to leave gaps in the black for the highlights but I just couldn't see where I was going at the time. Thank goodness for white jelly roll pens!
Thanks for another great challenge and learning experience
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a wonderful contrast of light, dark, and in between
*cross-hatched background
*added curls flow from the tips of the tangle and also create a beautiful border


Many thanks to everyone for sending in your precious tiles.  You inspire all of us and help build this wonderfully supportive IAST community.

Kudos to Jenna Black for her fabulous  Cross-Ur-Heart.


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #208 -
our 4th Birthday Celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment