Monday, August 7, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #206 Tiles

On the curved and loopy string that we used this week,  CZT Beate Winkler's Funbee and Joy Okawa's Pach were the stars of the show.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Vonnie Schneider (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*detail lines and sparkle for Pach
*small, medium, and larger Funbee


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Whow, two of my go-to-tangles in one challenge! Thank´s Adele again for an inspiring challenge! Loved the string too! Here comes my tile.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines, stripes, sparkle, and shadow shading for Funbee
*pretty field of Yincut


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
I’ve been drawing some mandalas this week so when I saw the challenge I thought I’d carry on. I liked Pach which was new to me. I’ve added it to my favourites library.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful circular Pach
*swirls of Yincut flow from Pach


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
...I enjoyed this week’s tangles especially ‘Pach’ a fabulous tangle.
Attached is my tile for ‘It’s A String Thing #206 ‘challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely Pach with finished on the ends with rounds
*Funbee springs from Yincut grid


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Greetings from Chicago where the temperature is 57° and I am totally loving it.As usual I was perplexed by the string and the tangles. So I decided to draw the string and first add my favorite of the three patterns. Then the others just followed along.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Funbee tipped Pach
*Yincut filled Funbee and rounded corners for another pretty variation


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario) ~
Thanks for this challenge. I thought I would never be able to put these three tangles together and the string looked so complicated. This is my third time using a string. I have turned my tile sideways because it looked better that way. You did say that a string was only a guide. Three new tangles for me and I liked all three.
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful softness achieved with shading
*light and lovely Yincut
Yes, a string is only a suggestion - you did wonders with this one.


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Thank you for this new challenge. It was fun again. I realised that I made a “mistake” with the chainrings in Patch (this was new to me) but I like it all the same.Hot regards from Switzerland (we are having the hottest days of the year)
Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous Pach loops
*multi-sized, multi-colored Funbee


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
This was a fun challenge! the moment I saw the string I thought a part of it looked like a cushion and then when I read that Yin-Cut was one of the tangles to use I knew what to do, I decided to create a cushion with Yin-Cut and use Pach and Funbee along with a little bit of Printemps and Marasu as the cushion embellishments. Thank you Adele for another great challenge!
-Greetings from Canada!
Tangled Tidbits -
*shading, highlights, sparkle, layering yield wonderful sense of depth and dimension
*happy mix of basic tangle colors of black and brown



From Renee Womack (Austin, Texas) ~
Thank you for another week’s challenge. Not sure how it all ended up so pastelish (word?), but there you have it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*thick droplets of Funbee creatively flow along the string
*tight curves of Pach


From Lin H (Florida) ~
Loved your challenge. I took quite a few liberties with your tangles and string and ended up with pretty simple results. It’s where the pen led me!
Tangled Tidbits -
Aren't you glad that you followed?!
*Yincut filled wisps of Funbee
*elegant Pach - detail lines, light and dark spaces, and sparkle


From Trudi ( Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
... Really enjoyed the Tangles this week, Pach looked like it was so intricate but the stepouts made it so nice to do. Thanks for all your hard work I guest hosted last weeks Challenge at Joey's and don't know how you guys do it every week!
Tangled Tidbits -
How nice, I will look that up.  Congratulations!
*fine lined Yincut
*dainty Pach along the string lines


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT 28 (Kingston, New York) ~
Pach was a challenge as it didn't seem like it was coming out like the step out..but I can live with it now...And Yin cut fit nicely in the loops
Thanks for a great challenge this week.


Tangled Tidbits -
*square Yincut variation
*weighted lines in Pach


From Sra (India) ~
Here's my entry for IAST 206. Have a good week and thanks for hosting!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Yincut and Funbee share similar line, sparkle, and shading details
*Pach shaded along the outer curves accents the inner white curves


From Sabine (Germany) ~
here is my entry for this week. I had a lot of fun with this three, new to me, tangles.
Many greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating black and white center rice shapes of Pach
*stripes and sparkle give Yincut and Funbee a beautiful shine


From Tonia C (Rhode Island) ~
At first the string looked a little intimidating to me. But after practicing the tangles ideas started to flow. As I was doing this tile more creative juices came up so I ran with it. This was a very fun tile to do! Thanks for this challenge and introducing the tangles!
Tangled Tidbits -
*initial curves and rice shapes of Pach compliment the full tangle
*delicate Funbee flows from Yincut's grid
That is a very happy mark :)


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
Thank you for your very inspiring challenges. I used to draw mostly without strings but thanks to you I've learned to use them. That curl (where I have made a ribbon of with Fun-bee was a real challenge for me!)
I've drawn on a grey tile (they have become my favorites) with white, black and golden pens but also with a normal pencil. It was the first time I've used Yincut, a very easy and nice pattern, especially for backgrounds but I have never drawn it. That is gonna change, thanks to you.


Tangled Tidbits - 
Oh, that is all good news, Ria!
*beautiful ribbon details - highlights, shading, color
*lovely use of light, dark, and medium tones



From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
thank you for the challenge this week. I especially like the patterns funbee and pach. The combination with yincut is very interesting. I send you my black and white version. Another tangle is posted in my blog...
Best wishes from Germany

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Yincut filled string loops, shaded to accent middle diamond shapes
*two pretty variations of both Funbee and Pach


From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Am attaching my tile for IAST206 - what a relaxing challenge this was. It seemed to just 'flow'.Thanks for the Zen!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*weighted Yincut grid lines and Funbee lines, too
*soft shading of all three tangles


From Judy O (Ohio) ~
Thanks for introducing Beate Winkler's Funbee pattern in this challenge - It was new to me, and I like it a lot (it's so graceful), so I kept things simple and focused on Funbee for this tile - (And I did actually use a little of the string -- two of the string lines, turned sideways, became the stems….)

Tangled Tidbits - 
And thank you, Judy, for your tangle Pach :)
*pretty Pach border
*aura-ed delicate Funbee


A very warm welcome to Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
A couple of months ago I discovered Zentangle and I am addicted. This is my first challenge ever and I took it because I love Pach.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*detailed Pach along all the string lines
*softly shaded field of Yincut 
Welcome to IAST and welcome to our tangled map, Marjan.




From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*contrasting dark and light Pach
*creative variations of Funbee - love that shaded one filled with dots


From Laurel Davis (New York) ~
Thanks for another great challenge! Pach was a new one for me and I really liked it.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a rainbow of Pach
*fabulous Funbee flows along two sides of the border


From Henrike Bratz, CZT (Germany) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
Henrike and Renee Womack (above) treated the string line and Funbee in a similar manner - and from across the globe - how fun!
*Pach's sparkled rice shapes repeat along with perfs
*longer curls and curves of Funbee give it an elegant look


From Debbie Raaen (Trondheim, Norway) ~
Here is my version of challenge 206 Adele with appreciation for all you do.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*rows of light and dark Pach
*colorful Aquafleur inspired Funbee


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Three delightful patterns, one playful string ... not sure I did them justice, but I did enjoy. (And thanks for the compliment last week on my descriptives. I do at times find inspiration which stimulates me to wax prosaic, but leaf blowers, diesel trucks and neighborhood construction just didn't do it for me this week.)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*gorgeous details for Funbee
*rounded, sparkled, wide and thinly spaced lines for Yincut


From Lily (Hungary) ~
...here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*luscious layers of towing Funbee
*sparkled perfs repeat in Pach and Yincut


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Valddrif, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
This week’s tile, I promise took minimum plotting and planning. So, all went with the flow. Great! Loved the string and the patterns Funbee by Beate Winkler, Pach by Joy Okawa and Yincut by Maria Thomas. Enjoyed using all the patterns this week.
All in all a satisfying time, well spent.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*magnificent variations of Funbee
*very detailed Pach fills the string line - notice how the loops tuck under and around and then are filled with Funbee



From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Such a fun string! And I love Pach ... but this tile ... not so much. It's very busy and very grey.
I usually complete the tile before I shade, but I shaded Pach before I completed the tile. I'm such a creature of habit ... one little change to the approach and chaos ensued!
Cheers to Pach!
Tangled Tidbits -
That's happy chaos, if chaos at all!
*Pach gradually grows in size as it loops
*weighted lines of Funbee bring it to the foreground of Yincut



From Pat (Washington State) ~
Yet another great IAST challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*detail lines and weighted curves create a lovely Funbee
*white dotted highlights glow on the colorful tangles



This is my tile ~
I began by placing a small and larger version of Pach along the two string curves. I turned the tile 180 degrees and then Funbee blossomed from a Pach hillside. A ground cover of Yincut, some Funbee details for Pach, lightly penciled accents, and a bit of Fescu pulled it all together.


And now...


the tile for honors this week...


was sent in by...

Karen Buse  from California !

Karen wrote:
I was familiar with all three tangles but had always used Pach on a small scale. It was fun to blow it up big enough to incorporate the other tangles into it.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Funbee curls and 'blossoms' along the two curved string lines, aura-ed and shaded
*rounded edges and thick lines for Funbee
*Funbee details in Pach
*Yincut filled, weighted-lined Pach
*pleasing use of light and dark spaces




Congratulations, Karen!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.


Many thanks to everyone for sending in your precious tiles.  You inspire all of us and help build this wonderfully supportive IAST community.

Kudos to the creators of the tangles we used this week along with my string 

Funbeby Beate Winkler, CZT

Pach by Judy Okawa

Yincut by Maria Thomas



Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #207

We are just one week away from a glorious 4th Birthday celebration!










2 comments:

  1. Wow! I loved seeing all the creative ways everyone made use of Pach! Thanks so much for including it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the round-up, Adele - Sra

    ReplyDelete